Monday, March 28, 2022

Martel's S/STEM TRAIN Blog (3/24)

This week, I had an extensive conversation with Matt, one of my program mentors about the possibility of assisting him on a project he is currently engaged in. This project involves collecting temperature data underneath several different types of desert trees found in the Phoenix area. One of the reasons this project is important is that, due to the increase in average temperature in our city as a result of climate change, our city will have an increasing need to offset extreme temperatures in the city by increasing the tree cover found throughout the city. Many other major cities across the world have found major success in increasing the livability of their cities by planting more trees to provide share and increasing the amount of "green spaces" found in the cities. Climate change is an issue that is not only dear to my heart but is an issue that will have an incredible impact on living beings across the planet. I have also researched this topic in the past. So, I'm very excited to potentially have an opportunity to contribute to this research.
This week was incredibly busy for me. On Tuesday, was appointed to serve as the first student tri-Chair on the Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity Committee (EIDC) at Phoenix College, an incredibly exciting opportunity that will allow me to contribute to improving student experiences at our college. This week, I also participated in a pair of lengthy meetings interviewing candidates for the PC Presidential Search Committee. I also led a meeting of the Maricopa Student Senate, met informally with several of the senators to plan several of our current initiatives. The Student Senate also had the opportunity to take professional individual and group photos at the MCCCD district headquarters. This was the first time that all of the student senators had a chance to meet one another in person. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Martel's S/STEM TRAIN Blog (4/28)

 This week I was still in the process of putting the finishing touches on my project. I've also had to spend a good deal of time studyin...